Monday, April 23, 2018

April


4/23/18

During the month of April, I was able to participate in another Edible School Yard event.  This event took place at Phillis Wheatley and was a garden party for students, teachers, and parents.  The event featured different healthy food booths, craft activities, and music.  I had the pleasure of assisting students water the garden.   I shared with them the proper time allotment for watering the garden and also showed the students the correct way to hold the watering can.  It was great to see the students getting so excited about caring for the garden and learning proper gardening techniques. 

Throughout the month of April, I also spent time in my normal kitchen classes during the week.   I also spent a short amount of time in the garden. There is always so much work to be done during regular classroom time.  It is very difficult to keep the kitchen tidy and orderly with so many students coming in and out of the room.  However, it is always an enjoyable experience seeing their developing passion for healthy food.  Each week the head chefs come up with a culinary theme based off of each grades' weekly lesson plan.  It is interesting to see how the kid’s palates develop and change as they are introduced to new foods.  Many of them begin the semester very resistant to certain food items, and end the semester with a new favorite food.  I was thrilled to be apart of the teaching experience and I will miss my time working with the students.

Best,
Arielle Johnson

April Hrs: 12
Semester Hrs: 30
Cumulative Hrs: 60


No comments:

Post a Comment