Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February


Greetings,

In the month of February, I spent time volunteering with Edible School Yard.  After attending orientation, I was placed at Arthur Ashe elementary school.  During my visit, I was able to get a feel of what my future duties would be in the kitchen class.  When I first came in, the class was very busy.  The fifth grade class were putting salads together and receiving fresh lemonade.  One of the chefs instructed me to jump in with assisting the students.  As I walked around, they excitedly greeted me as their “new volunteer.”   After getting acquainted with a few of the students, their class was beginning to end.  My next job was prepping the room for the next class that would be entering in about fifteen minutes.   Another volunteer and I, got to work at cleaning services, moving dishes to the washing sink, and putting away the ingredients. 

My last job was the most time consuming.  At this point in the class, a third volunteer joined us.  All three of us began working on a very large pile of dishes.  With the three of us working together we were able to finish just as the last class was ending.  We then received a quick tour of the kitchen and were given avocados.  Overall it was nice first experience working with the program.  I am excited to be back work with the Arthur Ashe kitchen class every Thursday.

Best,
Arielle Johnson

Monthly Hrs: 3
Cumulative Hrs: 3


No comments:

Post a Comment